Individuals with Mental Illness
If you have a mental health condition, you're not alone. One in 5 American adults experiences some form of mental illness in any given year. And across the population, 1 in every 25 adults is living with a serious mental health condition such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or long-term recurring major depression.
As with other serious illnesses, mental illness is not your fault or that of the people around you, but widespread misunderstandings about mental illness remain. Many people don't seek treatment or remain unaware that their symptoms could be connected to a mental health condition. People may expect a person with serious mental illness to look visibly different from others, and they may tell someone who doesn't "look ill" to "get over it" through willpower. These misperceptions add to the challenges of living with a mental health condition.
NAMI St. Louis offers the following programs for individuals facing mental health challenges:
For individuals living with a mental health concern:
- Get to Know NAMI St. Louis
- 60-minute presentation on what NAMI St. Louis does and how it serves the St. Louis region.
- NAMI Connection Support Group
- Typically meets once per month.
- In Our Own Voice
- Individuals share compelling personal stories about living with a mental health concern and achieving recovery.
- 2nd Thursday Wellness Series
- 60-minute free seminar on the 2nd Thursday of each month with varying topics.