Director of Development
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Executive Director
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Director of Development is responsible for leading all fundraising activities within the organization, including the development and implementation of an annual plan to expand philanthropic support for the organization. The Director of Development will manage all components of the strategic fundraising plan including: individual and corporate giving, foundation and government grants, special events, planned giving, and major individual gifts. The Director of Development is also responsible for producing an annual report to the community. He/she works closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
- Develop and implement an annual development plan to expand philanthropic support for NAMI St. Louis in conjunction with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Serve as Staff Liaison to the Development Committee of the Board of Directors. Coordinate meeting agendas with Chair; take minutes of the meeting; and provide on-going support for the completion of its activities.
- Engage the entire Board in various fund-raising and development activities.
- Coordinate and manage two annual events, as well as market and provide support for third party fundraising events. Annual events are:
- NAMIWalks for the Mind of America (in May);
- Gala (in November).
- Coordinate and supervise the scheduling and implementation of the following fund-raising activities:
- Direct Mail appeals (including, but not limited to, one summer appeal in August and one holiday appeal in November);
- The Iris Society (NAMI St. Louis’ major individual gifts recognition program that identifies and cultivates new prospects, as well as recognizes on-going support from annual donors with a special event each year);
- Corporate Sponsorships—Secure sponsorships for special events, as well as identify and cultivate new prospects;
- A planned-giving program; and
- Annual Report to the Community (work closely with the Executive Director and other members of the management team to develop, print, and distribute an annual report which identifies all NAMI St. Louis donors and funders).
- Oversee and maintain NAMI St. Louis’ fundraising and membership databases. Supervise part-time volunteer who performs data entry and maintains the databases, as well as types and prints fundraising and membership correspondence.
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Director to research, write and submit grant proposals to companies, foundations, and governmental entities.
- Attend the following meetings and report on development activities:
- Board of Directors Meetings as requested,
- NAMI St. Louis management staff,
- Development Committee of the Board of Directors,
- Finance Committee of the Board of Directors as requested.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate or assigned by the Executive Director.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- At least two years of experience as a Director of Development. Supervisory and leadership experience preferred to include volunteers and individuals with accommodations needs.
- Demonstrable knowledge and prior verifiable results from: special events, corporate giving, direct mail, major gifts, Planned giving and grant writing. A proven record of coordinating and managing successful events and an ability to develop relationships with current and potential donors in the St. Louis region is strongly preferred.
- Skill in utilization of office equipment and computer applications needed, including Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Working knowledge of and ability to utilize the internet and social media communications networks.
- Ability to do all of the following:
- Write fundraising correspondence (e.g. direct mail appeals & corporate solicitations);
- Prepare budgets and follow work timelines;
- Work effectively with Board of Directors, fellow staff, and other volunteers; and
- Communicate with potential donors and assertively ask them for support.
- Flexibility and willingness to work evenings and/or weekends when needed.
- Compassion for and understanding of challenges faced by individuals and families affected by mental illness. Ability to speak to others comfortably about mental illness a must.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum of a bachelor degree in communications, marketing, or business administration, with at least two years of experience as a Director of Development.
Please send resume and cover letter to Christine Patterson, Ph.D. at email@example.com by March 23, 2018.